This is a top 10 list for losing weight based on Brooke Castillo's book, "If I am So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?"
1. Eat only when you are hungry.
This means stop eating the minute you are full. This means if you go out to dinner and eat all the bread in the breadbasket you don't eat your dinner. This means if it is lunch break at work and you aren't hungry don't eat. This means if you are in the middle of a sandwich and you are no longer hungry, you stop eating.
2. When you aren't hungry and eating for joy only, make sure you are eating something fantastic and tasting every bite.
There will be times when you want to eat just for the joy of it. I say if you only do this 10% of the time you can still lose weight. But the trick is to make sure you enjoy each bite, taste it fully and stop as soon as the joy of eating it fades. If you pay attention, you will be surprised how soon this might be.
3. Be curious about yourself-not judgmental.
When you do something that you think is "off" you plan of what you would like to be doing, be curious and try to find out why you do what you do. Explore the thoughts that lead to the action. Be kind and understanding with yourself. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt.
4. Believe it is possible to be thin without being mean to yourself.
You do not have to beat yourself into submission for thinness. In fact, I have found the opposite is true. Loving yourself and being kind to yourself is a much better path to permanent weight loss.
5. Feel your feelings.
Be anxious. (Don't eat.) Be sad. (Don't eat.) Be afraid. (Don't eat.) Be angry. (Don't eat.) If you use eating as an alternative to feeling you are most likely going to be overweight. The sooner you feel your feelings the sooner they will subside.
6. Stop expecting things "out there" to change so you can feel better.
Don't wait for a better job, a thinner body, a nicer husband or a better tasting diet in order to be happy. You can be the source of your own joy by finding out what you love to do and who you love to be. By living your own truth, you can be happy no matter what is going on "out there."
7. Even when you think you have "blown it" write down every piece of food that goes into your mouth and then read that list with fascination.
It may feel better to write in the food journal when you are eating fuel most of the time, but that is not when it is the most important. When you are fog eating and storm eating and binging and going crazy with food, you have the best opportunity to learn about yourself and why you do what you do. No matter how much you have eaten and no matter how big the binge was, write down every single thing that went into your mouth and look at it with kind curiosity.
8. Realize that eating when you aren't hungry is not satisfying hunger or comforting you-it's just making you heavy.
Notice the terminology you use when discussing food. " I had my chocolate fix." " I needed comfort food." "I wanted to give myself a treat." Food is not a good source of emotional comfort and it cannot fix you.
9. Remember the past does not equal the future
We have all been on many many diets. Many of us have been heavy a long time. This does not mean that you can't lose weight. You have been doing the best you can. And when you know better- you do better- and you look better….
10. Never give up!
- Prev:Two Effective Exercises To Lose Belly Fat
- Next:Herbal Seaweed Diet Water Weight Loss