Cookie dieting is a safe and effective alternative to diet drugs. The cookies are a food, not a drug and most are all natural. They work because they eliminate hunger and cravings so that you are able to eat less and lose weight. They have no chemicals in them that will cause side effects associated with prescription diet drugs.
Today many of us want a quick and easy way to lose weight and are sometimes tempted to try one of the prescription diet pills available on the market. Many of the diet pills are effective (at least for a short period of time when you initially go on them) and some of us have friends who lost weight on them. Let抯 look at what they do.
All prescription diet pills claim to work. Most of them claim to 揷urb your hunger?so that you are able to eat less. All emphasize eating less and exercising while on their program in order to lose and maintain weight successfully over the long term. Currently, most weight loss drugs approved by the FDA are for short-term use (a few weeks or months). Basically, they are saying?揢se my drug, eat less, exercise, and you will lose weight.?br />
One type is the 揳ppetite suppressant?such as phentermine or Qsymia which tricks the body into thinking it is not hungry. Brain chemicals are used that affect mood and appetite.
Another type of diet drug is the fat absorption inhibitor such as Xenical or Alli. It works by preventing your body from breaking down and absorbing fat eaten with your meals. In general they are moderately effective leading to an average weight loss of about 12 pounds over a one-year period. It is approved for longer-term use even though the safety and effectiveness have not been determined for use beyond two years. In essence?use this drug and you become the long-term test subject.
Here are three reasons you may not want to consider weight loss drugs to treat obesity:
1. Addiction. Currently, all prescription obesity drugs except Xenical are 揷ontrolled substances?and could be addictive.
2. Developed tolerance. There is a concern that the person has developed a tolerance for the medication or that the drug has reached its limit in effectiveness. Most of them lose their effectiveness within the first few months of use.
3. Side effects. Most side effects of weight loss drugs are mild, although some can be unpleasant. Few serious and even fatal outcomes have been reported. Of course, there are currently no studies to determine the effects of these medications over the long term and there are limited studies on these medications' effects on older adults and on children.
Some of the side effects of these drugs include birth defects, increased heart rate, suicidal thoughts or actions, serious eye problems, increased blood pressure, sweating, constipation, insomnia, excessive thirst, lightheadedness, drowsiness, stuffy nose, headache, anxiety, dry mouth, concentration, memory, and speech difficulties, metabolic acidosis, kidney stones. Some side effects with Xenical include abdominal cramping, passing gas, leakage of oily stool, increased number of bowel movements, and the inability to control bowel movements, reduction in the absorption of some vitamins.
There are a whole lot of people who are not allowed to take these drugs?pregnant women (or women who might become pregnant), people with glaucoma or hyperthyroidism, people with recent or unstable heart disease or stroke. The makers recommend you regularly monitor your heart rate when starting Qsymia or increasing the dose. Who wants to do that? Actually, who wants to put themselves in a position where they should do that?
Obesity often requires long-term treatment to promote and sustain weight loss. These drugs are usually not recommended for long-term use. To me, they are too scary for even short-term use. Also, the drugs curb your appetite so as soon as you go off the diet pills your appetite returns. There is nothing that will prevent you from gaining your weight back!
Here are reasons why cookie dieting is a better option?br />
1. The cookies are a food, not a drug
2. You don抰 have to worry about the host of bad side effects associated with the chemicals found in diet drugs.
3. The cookies naturally curb or eliminate your appetite plus cravings so that you will eat less.
4. Since the cookies are a food, they allow you to naturally learn new eating habits that will stick with you after you reach your weight loss goal.
In summary, cookie dieting provides all the benefits of diet drugs without the negatives associated with the drugs.
The experts agree that the only way to lose weight is to eat less. However, it is not always easy to 揺at less? When you need that extra help to take control of your eating, it is a much better and safer choice to use cookie dieting as your weight loss tool.
- Prev:Weight Loss through the Nutrition Atlanta Approach
- Next:How to Have the Best Weight Loss Plan