As the name indicates, a thousand calorie diet means consuming only 1000 calories per day. This diet plan is ideal for overweight people who want to lose weight in a short span. However, it is recommended that one follow this diet plan only after consulting a doctor.
Surviving on just 1000 calories is not healthy, and this diet plan should not be followed for more than one week. Continuing this diet after the stipulated time may lead to nutritional deficiency, and the body might go into starvation mode. Moreover, the body's metabolism may reduce over the long run and one may have to face severe health consequences.
Such a diet plan is usually recommended when obesity is a major health issue and one has to lose weight to treat existing health problems. People who need to be active or involved in strenuous jobs should not follow this diet plan. The diet plan is also not suitable for children, pregnant or lactating women and those facing any health issues.
How to Make a 1000 Calorie Diet Plan
Dairy product + Fruit + Breads + 1 beverage
Snacks + Fruit juice
Soup or juice + Meat or Veggies + Breads
Snack + Beverage
Breads + Vegetables
1 fruit or 1 snack
Black tea, brewed, without sugar, 8 fl. oz.
Black coffee, instant, regular, without sugar, 6 fl. oz.
Beer, light, 1 can of 12 oz.
Wine, white, 1 serving of 5 fl oz.
Lettuce, iceberg, 1 leaf (large)
Cabbage, raw, shredded, 1 cup
Cauliflower, one-inch pieces, boiled with salt, 1 cup
Tomatoes, raw, chopped, 1 cup
Okra, slices, boiled with salt, 1 cup
Spinach, boiled with salt, 1 cup
Beans, snap beans, green, boiled with salt, 1 cup
Pumpkin, masked, 1 cup
Carrots, raw, chopped, 1 cup
Broccoli, chopped, boiled with salt, 1 cup
Baked potatoes, with skin, flesh and salt, ½ (61 g) cup
Sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed, ½ cup
Green peas, frozen, boiled with salt, 1 cup
Corn, sweet, white, kernels boiled with salt, 1 cup
Pear, ½ cup
Grapefruit, ½ cup
Watermelon, 1 cup
Strawberries, 1 cup
Cantaloupe, 1 cup
Papaya, 1 cup
Orange, 1 cup
Grapes, 1 cup
Apple, 1 cup
Peach, 1 cup
Figs, ½ cup
Pineapple, 1 cup
Pomegranate, ½ cup
Guava, 1 cup
Kiwi, 1 cup
Grains, Breads and Cereals
Bread, rye, 1 slice
Toasted multigrain bread, 1 slice
Bread, oat bran, toasted, 1 slice
Pasta, plain, cooked, 2 oz.
Plain pancake, 1
Cinnamon raisin bagel, toasted, 1
Oatmeal, cooked without salt, 1 cup
Bread, pita, white, 1 pita
Brown rice, cooked, 1 cup
Tuna, baked, 3 oz.
Lamb, roasted, 2 oz.
Beef, roasted, 3 oz.
Pork, baked, 4 slices
Chicken, roasted, 3 oz.
Egg, boiled, 1
Cottage cheese, low-fat, 100 grams
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Yogurt, fruit, low-fat, 6 oz.
Cheddar cheese, low-fat, 100 grams
Chicken soup, broth, canned, 1 cup
Tomato soup, plain, 1 cup
Cream of mushroom soup, canned, 1 cup
Muffin, oat bran, 1
Crackers, whole-wheat, low-salt, 3
Crackers, saltines, fat-free, 3
Pretzels, soft, 1 oz.
Frozen waffle, 1 square
Vanilla wafers, 1 piece
Popcorn, 1 oz.
Whole-wheat English muffin, 1
* The above figures have been obtained from Nutritiondata
as of Jan 2013.
Sample Diet PlanGiven below is a free 1000 calorie diet sample plan.
- You can start your day with breakfast cereal.
- To prepare breakfast cereal you can use low-fat skimmed milk (1 cup) and one cup diced apple.
- Have it along with a boiled egg. This breakfast amounts to about 329 calories.
- Oatmeal is another great option for breakfast.
- You can have 1 cup kiwi along with it. This constitutes 277 calories.
- For a mid-morning snack, you can prepare a slimming shake from milk and strawberries.
- To prepare this shake, take one cup of skimmed milk and blend with ½ cup of strawberries.
- This shake will add 65 calories to your diet plan.
- You may also choose to have a serving of fruits. This snack adds 91 calories to the diet plan.
- Prepare a sandwich for lunch.
- You can use 2 ounces of roasted chicken and 2 slices of whole grain reduced-calorie diet bread.
- You can add sliced tomatoes, cucumber, onions, mushrooms, etc., to the sandwich.
- Instead of a sandwich, you could concoct your very own salad platter with fresh greens and dress it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Complete your meal with a plum and drink a juice. Make sure you do not exceed 200 calories.
- You may have one oat bran muffin and a cup of black coffee for the mid-afternoon snack. You consume 50 calories.
- Now for dinner, you can prepare a Mexican fiesta.
- The ingredients for this recipe are half cup beans (any type), shredded lettuce (1 cup), low-fat cheddar cheese (1 slice), flour tortilla shells (1 large or 2 small), and rice that will provide 75 calories.
- To prepare this recipe, first warm the beans and flour tortillas. Then stuff the beans, sour cream, and cheese into the tortillas.
- You can also stuff the rice into the tortillas or serve it later along with the tortillas.
- Then roll the tortillas, and your Mexican fiesta is ready. The dinner provides approximately 250 calories.
- You may relish one cup of whole strawberries and half a cup of pomegranate, serving as your bedtime snack; this will contribute around 132 calories to the diet.
The total calorie intake of the day equals 1000.
: The 1000 calorie diet menu mentioned in this article provides for an approximate consumption of 1000 calories in a day. It is recommended that you should consume enough water during this diet plan. Never follow this diet plan for more than one or two weeks at the most, and remember to gradually increase your diet after completion of this diet plan.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.
- Next:1200 Calorie Diet Menu