Hello my name is Ali and i have a problem with being too skinny. I try to hide it by wearing baggy clothes and long sleeve shirts. I need some help with proper eating. I'm wondering if you could suggest a plan of eating properly. I heard that i should be eating 6 meals a day. Could you suggest what foods to eat on a daily basis. Also how do you get rid of dark circles under your eyes (without surgery). Thanks for taking time to read this.
Thank you for your nutrition question. Proper sleep and nutrition should be helpful in eliminating dark circles around the eyes.
Theoretically, you have to eat 500 to 1,000 calories per day to gain one to two pounds per week. Without question some people do gain weight more easily than others. Here are some tips to help you eat healthy and gain weight.
1. Eat Consistently- Every day , have three hearty meals plus one to three additional snacks. Do NOT skip meals. You miss out on important calories that you need to accomplish your goals.
2. Eat larger then normal portions. Instead of having one sandwich for lunch, have two. Eat three potatoes at dinner, instead of only two. Have a taller glass of milk, bigger bowl of cereal, larger piece of fruit.
3. Select higher calories foods. Read food labels to determine which foods have more calories than an equally enjoyable counterpart. For example, cran-apple juice has more calories than does orange juice (170 vs. 110/8 ounces); granola has more calories than Cheerios (700 vs 100/cup); corn more than green beans (140 vs 40/cup).
4. Drink lots of juice and milk. Beverages are a simple way to increase your caloric intake. Instead of drinking water, quench your thirst with calorie containing fluids. One athlete gained 13 pounds in 3 months simply by adding six glasses of cranberry juice(1,000 calories) to his standard diet.
5. Do strengthening exercises (weight lifting, push-ups etc.) to stimulate muscular development so that you bulk up instead of fatten up. Some underweight people are afraid exercise will result in weight loss rather than weight gain. Remember, exercise tends to stimulate the appetite; you?ll want to eat more. Exercise also increases thirst; you?ll easily be able to drink extra juices.
For more answers to your nutrition questions check out "Ask the Nutritionists" by George Rapitis at www.authorhouse.com or your favorite bookstore.
-George Rapitis, Bsc. Nutritionist
- Prev:How many calories do i need?
- Next:Weight loss and birth control